Friday, July 26, 2013

BYOB Painting Class


A few months ago I became obsessed with Groupon and Living Social! I guess there is just something about a good deal and I am always looking for fun things to do with friends during the summer months.   While Katie and I were comparing iCals to schedule some summer fun we hopped on the Groupon app to check out the deals. Katie had done a Living Social Sippin' and Painting class and loved it so I wanted to find something similar. I was so happy when I found a BYOB painting class that I accidentally purchased 3 vouchers before even looking at any info (and it posted to Facebook immediately)! We might have been working when that happened :) and I got an FB notification email .2 seconds later from my husband saying, "Oh did she?" LOL! The more the merrier so I invited Christine to come along with us for a girls night out.


Each class has a theme and they are offered on Wednesday nights, Friday nights, and Saturday afternoons and nights. We found a date that worked and registered for the River Bend class {we weren't in love with the theme but the date worked and we knew it would be fun}.


FR Design was a little tricky to find because there isn't a huge sign in front of the studio but it was a great space! Fran, the owner welcomed us at the door with excitement. A large party with a breast cancer survivor had asked Fran if she would mind changing the theme to something with a little splash of pink. Since Fran is also a breast cancer survivor she offered a few choices for the group! We decided on a gorgeous landscape with a pink sky and pretty flowers! Looking at the painting I thought, "There is NO WAY that I will be able to paint anything that even resembles that." but our instructor Ahmed and his helper Lauren were amazing.


Ahmed explained and modeled each step and they circulated around the room to help, NOT "fix" anyone's painting! It was amazing to watch the layers build and the painting slowly come together. There are about 15 ladies and not one picture looked the same! Everyone did an awesome job.




The instructors were awesome and Ahmed had a great sense of humor. At one point I was a little concerned with my horizon line and he said, "Oh great, I guess we will just get you a new canvas. There is no way to fix that. We must start over." Haha! He took turns complimenting each painting as well as cracking jokes at our painting skills.


Lauren also offered words of encouragement and was willing to help anyone who needed it.


We had an absolute blast and cannot wait to sign up for our next class! What do you think of our paintings?




We are planning to do the Light House theme on Saturday, August 17th from 6-9! Please let me know if you would like to join us. Fran is willing to give us the Groupon rate by purchasing through her :)!

No comments:

Post a Comment